P5.Js "Build a Toy"
A downloadable project
"Build a Toy"
For your first project, you will be using P5.js to building a "toy" that we can "play" with.
Let's define those terms with the help of game designer Jesse Schell:
- A good toy is an object (either physical or digital) we can play with.
- Play is manipulation that indulges curiosity.
With this in mind, we can come up with some characteristics of a toy:
- It's something a person can interact with
- It behaves in ways that surprise, delight, or provoke us
- The toy suggests how we can use it but does not dictate why
- There is no "goal" for its use
Here's the list of playful concepts we came up with in class:
Reactions (Property Changes)
- "temperature" (how two objects can interact differently)
- Created using P5.js and available to play with in the P5 Editor
- Toy uses at least three concepts from the list above
- Manipulating one object can affect something else on the screen
- Hide at least one surprise for us to discover while playing
- 200 word artist statement describing the process of coming up with the toy written as a in-code comment at the top of the project
- Use in-code comments to give credit to any sources you used to help you build your toy
Due in-class February 5, 2020