3370 Bitsy Project
A downloadable course
Using Bitsy, you're going to write a story about traveling through time to the past.
Using sprite art, dialogue, and multiple environments, tell a story about what this point in time is like. You want to design for a feeling of exploration even if you don't give the player complete freedom.
You should introduce something your character wants to achieve or accomplish in the world or know about the place they've ended up. (In this case, you can ignore the wants/needs of the protagonist in favor of building the story about the world.)
Design Around the Following Concepts
- Slowly reveal the story between the rooms
- The layout of the space and how to transition between rooms
- Evocative objects and environments
- McCloud's concepts of abstraction (ch 2), transitions (ch 3), and timeframes (ch 4)
- The use of color and shapes
Minimum Requirements for a 'B'
- Five rooms (you're of course welcome to make more!)
- One item you can collect and give to somebody else to learn more information
- Three color palettes
- Recognizable dramatic arc
Follow this arc as a guideline for rooms:
- First room: introduce the time/place but still leave it a bit of a mystery; exposition
- Second room: reveal the time/place with additional clues; exposition + start rising action
- Third room: more detail, rising action
- Fourth room: more detail, climax
- Last room: Falling action, denouement
Turning It In
Upload your games to your Itch.io account by Wednesday Oct 30th at 6pm.
If you post your Bitsy game earlier than Oct 24th, I will give you feedback so that you can revise your submission before the due date.
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.